Re: Patch: CLONE_PPID (was kernel thread support - LWP's)

Matthew Wilcox (Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:44:25 +0200

On Sat, Jul 17, 1999 at 06:43:37PM -0500, Tim Hockin wrote:
> Here is the first patch I threw together for CLONE_PPID support. This is
> against 2.2.10.
>
> Concept: a child should be able to create siblings (children of its
> parent) if the parent lets it.
>
> clone() now has two new flags:
> CLONE_PPIDOK : resulting child may create siblings
> CLONE_PPID : resulting child should be a sibling
>
> PF_FLAGS has a new entry PF_PPIDOK, which is set by CLONE_PPIDOK

Why do we need PPIDOK? What's the issue that I'm overlooking which makes
it matter if a child can create siblings without the parent's okay? (lets
ignore moral issues here and concentrate on security ones :-)

If there is a security issue here which I've overlooked, do we need a
mechanism for clearing the PPIDOK flag? Perhaps on exec()?

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of