Re: 32-bit uid/gid?

Steve (smolloy@engin.umich.edu)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:30:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Masumi Ellis wrote:
> has anyone had experiences with any of the large uid patches out there?
> What are the chances of something getting into 2.3?

There is a project going on at the University of Michigan to get Linux
to support large uids. U of M is one of the few institutions that
actually requires large uids to accomodate all of its users, so such a
patch is very integral in getting the University to start offering Linux
on some of its machines. Alot of work has been put into this effort
and I believe they have a patch which is mostly fuctional. I think
the only things they have to work out deal with some versions of
glibc, but the web page should tell you more. You can find information
about the project at
http://www.engin.umich.edu/caen/systems/Linux

Stephen P Molloy ___ ___
U-M College of Engineering (CompE) [ \ / ]
smolloy@engin.umich.edu | | \/ | |
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~smolloy | |\ /| |
(734) 827-1372 [___]\/[___]

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is a habit."
-Aristotle