Re: Linux box causing network meltdown! HELP!!!

Harvey J. Stein (hjstein@bfr.co.il)
20 Jul 1999 16:13:22 +0300

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> > They say the weird things about the packet are the ethertype of 8808,
> > that it's shorter than the minimum packet size of 64 bytes, and that
> > it's a multicast broadcast packet. So, why my box is putting it on
> > the wire (especially given that I'm not doing any multicast), and how
> > do I stop it? BTW, rebuilding the kernel without multicast support
> > doesn't stop these weird packets from going out.
>
> EEPro100 with APM enabled. It seems to be some kind of SMbus problem. Intel
> don't seem to want to provide info on how to lock out SMbus sent packets
> (these cards support packets for stuff like case tampering, remote reboot
> request [oh yes party time], and the like without the host OS intervening)
>
> Turn off APM or switch to a card with proper docs is my first suggestion.
> The other cases I've seen disabling all APM has sorted it.

When I rebuilt the kernel I turned off APM as well as multicast (and
IPX, as some others have pointed fingers at) and still saw these 8808
packets going out. But that was on a test net consisting only of my
box, the server & the sniffer (on a hub). In particular, I didn't
verify that the packet was identical to the one which drove the cisco
insane.

--
Harvey J. Stein
Bloomberg LP