advanced unix programming

Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 11:47:24 +1000

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 02:18:16PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > It already exists for general handle passing for file handles.
> >
> > Can you give me a pointer to that meachansim, and also how it's
> > handled in other Unix like operating systems ?
>
> Borrow a copy of Stevens advanced unix programming and look at file handle
> passing. Basically you can pass a file handle from one process to another
> over a socket. Its an interesting and sadly underused unix feature.

Even sadder, there are many unix features which are underused and/or
abused. My personal peeves include infrequent use of mmap() and over
use of threads instead of processes.

Stevens does an admirable job of documenting advanced programming in
unix, but his book reads like a reference. It's a poor book to learn
how to exploit the unix feature set.

--
Nathan Hand - Chirp Web Design - http://www.chirp.com.au/ - $e^{i\pi}+1 = 0$
Phone: +61 2 6230 1871   Fax: +61 2 6230 4455   E-mail: nathanh@chirp.com.au