Re: [RFC] - Some notions that I would like comments on

Jason Gunthorpe (jgg@ualberta.ca)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:15:26 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

> Ideally this stuff would be done in linker with profile feedback, but this is
> an experiment to see what difference it really makes. I'm curious to see if
> all the mappings slows down runtime much too (which is really a test of the AVL
> code).

I once noticed that gprof had such a feature, one of it's outputs was an
ordered list of functions that you pass to the linker which then clustered
them together.

If I remember the general technique of reordering procedures to improve
load time has been called 'page tuning' because the idea is to get
commonly used functions in the same page of memory. It also has the happy
benifit of reducing real ram usage for common cases.

Jason