Re: Putting Perl into Linux Kernel

John P. Looney (jplooney@compapp.dcu.ie)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:54:16 +0100

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 09:07:46AM +0100, Christof Damian mentioned:
> "J.H.P" wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I wonder if it is feasible and practical to
> > have a version of perl to be incorporated
> > into Linux kernel. Either as a module or
> > deeper than than, so that any perl code
> > is automatically recognized without
> > going thourgh perl compiler. Also, truly
> > one perl core is uploaded and all other
> > perl modules are loaded dynamically.
> > (You can run many perl programs without
>
> this not very useful. (see the other replies).
>
> the only reason which might make sense is to have the ability to write
> kernel-modules in perl.

Perhaps not. Apache's mod-perl was created for machines that would be
running a lot of perl code, so the machine wouldn't have to initalise the
perl interpreter everytime that someone ran a perl script - very handy on a
webserver. It would only make sense, if there were a lot of short scripts
being run. Though, seeing as mod-perl for Apache is there already, why
would the kernel need one ? I'm not sure, but I thought a webserver would
be the only thing that would run a lot of perl...

Kate

--
Microsoft - the best reason in the world to drink beer