POSIX is God? (was Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #4149)

Raul Miller (moth@magenta.com)
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 13:02:47 -0400

Albert D. Cahalan <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> wrote:
> Yep. It is Standard. If you want to forget POSIX, just say so. I'd like to
> meet the standard, but if we don't... might as well kill some other POSIX
> junk as well. Being almost-POSIX isn't worth much.

I guess you missed the discussion of the quality of the various posix
standards.

This is a case where the issues are important enough (this particular
posix standard was made out of whole cloth and not adequately field
tested, no existing code base which requires posix behavior, no examples
of applications which would ever need the posix behavior, etc.) that it
looks like revising posix is a much more viable option than drastically
rewriting linux.

Then again, it's probably going to be possible to meet the posix
requirements with the existing implementation, with just a little thought.

I'm afraid you'll have to find another reason to trash big chuncks of
Linux...

--
Raul