Re: AGP & non-root mmap calls: "lending" priviledges to a client

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
17 Jul 1999 10:44:41 +0200

chris@xig.com (Christopher Hassell) writes:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 04:38:19PM -0600, Christopher Hassell wrote:
>
> ] Are there any plans to allow "handing over" priviledges to clients, from one
> ] process to another?
>
> Looks like we got a simple, old and standard way to "share priviledges" for
> file descriptors. Thanx for the help.
>
> Now... anyone have ideas on how to convince the scheduler to prefer certain
> context switches (i.e. between tightly-coupled server-client pairs)? I
> know we were discussing latency recently. Latency seems to be, itself, the
> one big drawback of the server-client model.

The 2.2 scheduler already has such a heuristic: if one process wakes up
another it considers them a gang and tries to run the other directly
if possible.

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.