Re: New kernel/resource.c

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 21:06:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Tom Leete wrote:

> To me, the problem with calling it "pci" is that it's likely to be taken
> literally. People writing for other bus archs will not know or forget that
> it's for them too. People writing for pci will add pci specializations to
> it.

But other bus architectures are not even supposed to use it!

It's really only meant to be used by PC IO subsystems (ie PCI, ISA etc).
So it really =is= meant to be specific to one bus type (admittedly that
bus type is a superset of PCI itself, but it's NOT supposed to ever be
used as a "every bus" kind of resource).

Linus