Re: Problems with /dev/tty

Robert G. Brown (rgb@phy.duke.edu)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:56:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Kevin Traas wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the significance of this device in the system?
>
> I'm having various minor problems on one system I'm 'playing' with and one
> difference between that and a standard Debian distribution is that if I
> `echo hello > /dev/tty` on the Debian system, I get the hello written back
> (just as if with using /dev/tty0 or /dev/console. However, if I try the
> echo statement above on the other system, I get:
>
> cannot create /dev/tty: no such device or address
>
> This indicates to me that the kernel isn't configured properly somewhere
> along the way....

Did the kernel get built with devpts? Is it correctly mounted? It
seems that as of 2.2.x somewhere pty's are provided at the kernel level
-- my RH 6.0 system comes configured to mount:

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0

and when I deliberately excluded this line from fstab I got the same
message your report.

rgb

> The device is there and identical on both systems `mknod /dev/tty c 5 0`
> with perms 644 and owner root:root.
>
> My reason for finding this is that when I start ash I get:
>
> sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
>
> And I've been trying to figure out why ash is complaining.... which lead me
> to discover the tty problem above....
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Kevin
>

> -

Robert G. Brown http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567 Fax: 919-660-2525 email:rgb@phy.duke.edu