Re: CD-ROM + Modem = errrr...

Marcelo de Paula Bezerra (mosca@genix.com.br)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:54:51 -0300

I wonder if your hard disk wasn't put into sleep...
I saw this once on a mother board that aparently had a broken apm
configuration, The second master hard disk was simply always put into
sleep, even if it was just accessed, and it wasn't true only on linux,
but under windows as well, at least in the linux you culd user hdparm to
tell the hard disk not to sleep so often... :)

Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> [I've CC'd Andre Hedrick in because this is an IDE issue

> during heavy I/O]
>
> The drive is in DMA mode. The problem started a few weeks ago when a got a
> new hard drive (Maxtor 13GB UDMA/33). For some reason, the kernel doesnt
> turn on DMA automatically even though it is configured to, but I use
> hdparm for it. If I run bonnie or do a similarly large i/o operation onto
> /dev/hdc (the new maxtor drive), the machine freezes up randomly for a few
> seconds at a time.
>
> Jul 12 18:47:59 vitelus kernel: SIS5513: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev
> 09
> Jul 12 18:47:59 vitelus kernel: SIS5513: not 100% native mode: will probe
> irqs later
>
> So obviously the controller is a SIS5513.
>
> I used this hard drive for a few days on another system with a VIA IDE
> controller (from /proc/pci: IDE interface: VIA Technologies VT 82C586
> Apollo IDE (rev 6)), in both UDMA and interrupt-driven mode, in both
> 2.0.36 and 2.2.9 but didn't experience any similarly huge lockups. Kernel
> version on this machine is 2.2.10-tmw1 (the tmw patch should not affect
> the IDE at all). I never experienced any of these lockups using the old
> hard drive.
>
> [root@vitelus aaronl]# hdparm /dev/hdc
> /dev/hdc:
> multcount = 0 (off)
> I/O support = 0 (default 16-bit)
> unmaskirq = 0 (off)
> using_dma = 1 (on)
> keepsettings = 0 (off)
> nowerr = 0 (off)
> readonly = 0 (off)
> readahead = 8 (on)
> geometry = 25249/16/63, sectors = 25450992, start = 0
>
> Should I try enabling unmaskirq?

> > > Interesting, since my machine locks up for up to 10 seconds at a time
> > > during heavy IDE activity, do you think this would help me too? The
> > > manpage mentions that it is "dangerous".
> >
> > unless you have a rather old machine, your problem is probably
> > just a misconfigration of ide. the "locking up" could only be
> > due to an astonishingly slow, and large PIO IDE transaction. all
> > hardware made in the past 5 years or so supports at least DMA mode,
> > which runs at least 12 MB/s; you have to scrape to find anything
> > that doesn't do UDMA these days.
> >
> > take a look at your disk/controller settings with hdparm.
> >

> -

-- mpb