Re: kernel thread support - LWP's

Mike Touloumtzis (miket@geoworks.com)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:07:51 -0700

On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 02:18:27PM +1000, Richard Gooch wrote:

> I'd say the first thing to do is add a way of killing just one task in
> a process group. Probably that requires a new syscall. Alternatively,
> we can make it a flag bit to the signal number. Making it a flag bit
> has advantages (see below).

I don't see any way of using process groups that would allow
this to work:

$ make-audio-samples | tee foo | bplay
^C

(bplay is 2-threaded for buffering reasons, IIRC)

and which would also let 'bplay' use Posix threads and
their associated signal semantics. A new clone flag
defining 'signal groups' has the advantage that it lets the
process decide what signal semantics will be applied to it.

miket