Re: [Patch] Oops with serial module (was:RE: problem with automounter

Bernd Kaindl (bk@suse.de)
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 22:50:57 +0200 (MEST)

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

> > The Oops can happen on any system i can think of when one installs
> > serial.o as module, later decides to compile it in and later somehow
> > the module gets loaded. One calls rmmod serial and when sombody accesses
> > the device, the Oops happens.
> >
> > The fact is that not a user process explicitely requests overloading the
> > module, but kmod itself does it automatically e.g. when setserial is called.
>
> In which case there's a bug in the code which calls kmod, surely? It shouldn't
> try to search for a module to handle a device which is already registered.

It castually happend with 2.2.7, I think it was triggered by doing setserial
on a device which was not supported by the compiled-in driver (e.g. /dev/ttyS4
or /dev/cua4), but i can't reproduce it in the moment. Maybe something got
fixed in the meantime.
Still after an insmod and rmmod, a device access to a compiled-in driver
(serial.o) could reproduce the Oops.

--

have a nice day,