Re: nice troll (was: All this resource-fork AKA multiple stream

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 20:31:46 -0400 (EDT)

Damien Miller writes:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
>
>> Fortunately I don't mind trolls. I don't think I have _ever_ seen
>> a compound document represented as a directory. I know that TeX
>> users do it sometimes, but they aren't normal users anyway.
>> Ask a random MBA, art student, or secretary what "TeX" is.
>> Normal users don't write Makefiles for their documents.
>
> Your random MBA, art student or secretary will be using an
> application or GUI which hides the fact that the albod is
> a directory.
>
> What part of that can't you understand?

I can't understand why you think normal people should not use Linux.
More users means friendly hardware vendors. More users means I can
read more of the email attachments I get. More users means I can buy
a cheap off-the-shelf PC like everyone else and NOT pay the M$ tax.

I think you know damn well that there will never be a GUI that covers
the whole system well enough to _consistantly_ hide the use of
directories to represent files. Such a GUI would have to cover
everything everywhere. Who would maintain it?

If such a GUI were to be created, we are back to the old problem.
You must use a dumbed-down proprietary GUI if you want to share
documents with your co-workers. Yeah, it runs on Linux. Big deal.
Wait a minute... why would anyone switch to Linux? We are back to
the separation between power users and weak users. Anything that
puts power users and weak users in different worlds will leave
us with a crummy OS (M$ or otherwise) owning the market.