Re: The stability crisis

Kim Petersen (kim@vejlegruppen.dk)
03 Jul 1999 05:43:25 +0200

Jes Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch> writes:

> Kim> Jes Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch> writes:
> >> To be quite frank, it is less of a hassle to hook up a serial
> >> cable, I cannot see any reason why people keep refusing to do this.
>
> Kim> Because as Brian said: it is a major hassle, we allready have a
> Kim> large amount of cable-spaghetti just connecting network, if we
> Kim> also have to have a lot of serialcable's - more than those to
> Kim> routers/livingstons :( That really amount to chaos.
>
> One machine crashes, you have one serial cable, how much spaghetti is
> that?
In a 19" rack there would still be spaghetti... but it really doesn't
matter since what was asked for was a way to capture oopsen without
resolving to serial-cables. I think the question was valid, and allthough
we haven't had any oopses here, i don't wan't to even consider how much
cleanup work, and recompiles etc. a reoccuring oops would make - and
that even without setting up a serial-connection to capture an oops
that we might not even be able to recreate, without having a possible
buggy machine in a live network (doing normak tasks).

It would be really nice to have a way to capture oopses, that isn't
depending on a serialcable. That way we could send the oops of to
kernellist and immediatly get on to the work of recreating a stable
machine.

> Jes
>
> -

Mvh. Kim Petersen   \  | Tlf:      +4575727633 |  / Storhaven 12
System Administrator \ | Fax:      +4575727619 | /    7100 Vejle
Vejlegruppen/Net4you  \| Email: kim@net4you.dk |/   DK - Danmark