Re: The stability crisis

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 22:44:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Hugo Varotto wrote:

> OK, I don't want to make noise on this discussion, but I'd like to ask a
> very simple question.
>
> I do have a spare 486 next to me ( it was going to be trashed before I
> got hold of it ), and I'd like to implement a serial logger ( yes, I do
> also have a serial cable ) to debug some stuff that I'm working with (
> I'm also having Oops and all those funny things that happen when
> something crashed hard in a kernel, and even when not, it's very
> difficult to keep track of all the printks to follow execution ).
>
> Could somebody point me to a place with instructions to how to set up a
> serial logger ? ( I've never needed one before, so I've never
> implemented one ). Hopefully, it will help me a lot.
>
> As I said, a simple question, thanks in advance

Search for 'logserial' on www.freshmeat.net, that'll get you the
proggie to run under linux on the 486 to get the info from the serial
port. On the server modify your /etc/lilo.conf and add the line in the
appropriate place:
append="console=ttyS0 console=tty0"
You can check out Documentation/* for more info on that. Also
don't forget to compile support for console on serial port in your
kernel.

Stephen