Re: fs corruption with pre-2.3.9-5 + this little patch

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 13:10:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 roel@grobbebol.xs4all.nl wrote:

> I assume still nobody has a clue why on the 2.2.xx series FS corruption
> occurs ?

That's correct. There seems to be _some_ correlation with the aic7xxx
driver, but even that's so weak that it might just be that it just shows
up a lot because it is so popular. There's certainly a stronger
correlation with overclocking and overheating ;)

It should be noted that _all_ the 2.3.x corruption problems that have been
discussed have simply been due to bugs in the new page cache and buffer
cache code, and their interactions with low-level filesystems etc. That's
simply because a lot of things changed, and we're apparently finally
reaching a stable level now.

("stable" wrt 2.3.x does not mean bug-free in this case: I'm sure we'll be
hunting down races for the next few months, but the fundamental problems
seem to be sorting themselves out quite nicely).

Linus