Re: Spinlocks: the saga

Linux Lists (lists@cyclades.com)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:37:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:

> Ivan, take a look at the cyclom2x source code available from kernel
> 2.3.6+, it manages several logical channels, using spinlocks in a way
> that, I think, is similar to your needs in the cyclades Y and Z cards. 8)

Yes, but even though you have defined a per-channel spinlock, you're using
only the general spinlock (i.e., the one that locks the whole card). I'm
trying to avoid this, as the Cyclom-Y can have up to 32 ports (devices)
and locking the whole board because of one port doesn't seem like a good
idea.

Actually, I know the very basics of how to define and use spinlocks, but
I'd like to get a more solid knowledge on this before I go for it
"officially".

So ... any pointers to good books, URLs or src code on the subject,
anybody ?!?!!

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Ivan