Re: How can read oops at boot

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Thu, 01 Jul 1999 01:10:34 +1000

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:12:15 +0300,
Panagiotis Tsakiris <mazestix@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote:
>I have an Cyrix 166+ (133Mhz) and RH 5.2 based system. I'm using 2.3.8
>kernel. Because I want to help the Linux developing project I'm using
>that kernel. I get from that kernel in 24 hours 2 bugs at boot time
>but I cannot see them from the first line (Oops ...etc) because my
>screen is full of messages like this "[<c018b825>] [<c0107b2d>] ....."
>and at the end the only think that I will see is
> " Code 89 02 85 c0 74 03 89 50 04 b8 01 00 00 00 eb 03 90 31 c0 c7
> Aiee, killing interrupt handler
> Kernel panic : Attempted to kill idle task! "
>
>And the system crash. When I make reboot and the kernel works OK .
>Where can I find the full bugs report. I look at /var/log/ but I cannot
>find anything useful. The only think which make me not to feel OK isn't
>the crash but that I cannot find the full bugs report for fixing it.
>:-(

Unfortunately some errors are so bad that the entire system hangs.
That hang includes the klogd and syslogd tasks which take kernel
messages and write them to disk. So these really nasty errors never
appear in /var/log. Three choices at the moment.

If the full oops is on the screen, use shift-pageup to see the whole
thing, write it down by hand and type it in after you have rebooted.

You can use a serial console (Documentation/serial-console.txt) to feed
the logs to another machine and capture it there.

Willy Tarreau <willy@novworld.Novecom.Fr> has written a patch that lets
you dump the messages to floppy, even when the rest of the system is
hung. http://www-miaif.lip6.fr/willy/pub/linux-patches/kmsgdump/

In all three cases, after you reboot, run the Oops through ksymoops.
The kernel version of ksymoops is obsolete and will disappear once
Linus starts accepting patches. The current version is in
ftp://ftp.ocs.com.au/pub/ksymoops/