Re: Problem with 2.2.10ac3 and NFSv3(0.9.9)

=?iso-8859-1?q?Dominik=20Weis?= (weis_dominik@yahoo.de)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:25:50 +0200 (CEST)

> Dominik Weis <weis_dominik@yahoo.de> writes:
>
> > We use one Linux system as a gateway between
> NT(SMB)
> > and Sun Solaris(NFS) systems. Today I experienced
> > problem with the NFS client. The load on the
> systems
> > keept rising and I got this error message:
> >
> > Jun 30 11:33:39 nfssmb1 kernel: nfs: task 31308
> can't
> > get a request slot
> > The messages kept going on till I rebooted.
> >
> > Is this a known problem only for NFSv3 or will I
> > experience the same problem with 2.2.10(NFSv2)?
>
> It's a problem that can occur both under NFSv3 and
> stock 2.2.10 (since
> it just means that the RPC layer is blocked for some
> reason).
>
> I have recently been trying to hack up the RPC layer
> under the NFSv3
> patches. The main interest is getting the RPC over
> TCP to work
> reliably, and to reduce the problems with the socket
> layers running
> out of buffer memory (the latter is a problem when
> you have 32k
> wsizes). This means that the last few batches of
> NFSv3 patches have
> been a bit unstable (sorry) but should hopefully
> improve.

I had a few mount points on systems that use Solaris
and the wsize and rsize is 32k. I assume that Solaris
uses 32k for a better performance.

> It would therefore be very helpful to me if you
> could give me some
> more details about which version of the patches
> you're using.

I use SuSE 6.1 as the distribution. The kernel is
2.2.10ac3 and the NFSv3 patch is
linux-2.2.10-ac2-nfsv3-0.9.9.1.dif. I have no other
patches installed. I could not gather additional
informations from the logs. I will change to 2.2.10ac5
with NFSv3 9.9.10 tonight.

Dominik