Re: Norton Utilities for Linux ?

Matt Gumbley (mgumbley@enigmadata.co.uk)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:23:42 +0100

"Mike A. Harris" wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:
>
> >> I know that Ted T'so or someone in his position worked with
> >> Partition Magic I believe. I don't see a GPL'd product that
> >> replaces it... so extrapolating, if a NU came out for Linux,
> >> we'd be more pressed to come up with our own GPL'd effort.
> >
> >I think there is a clause that states the source of that will be
> >release on 19xx or maybe 20xx as GPL.. he's mentioned it in the past.
>
> Really? If that is true, I'd appreciate it if someone else
> (perhaps Ted himself) would verify that.

Ted said recently (on the linux-fsdevel list, subject Re: [linux-lvm]
lvm-0.6, Linux 2.2.9) that it'd be "18 months from final acceptance"...
"basically during 1st quarter 2000". He's "looking into whether or not
PowerQuest could be persuaded into releasing it earlier", since work is
underway to replicate it.

See http://www.dsv.nl/~buytenh/ext2resize/ for details.

> Perhaps that is what Symantec is doing? Or more likely, Symantec
> doesn't see any profit available currently in Linux. I'd have to
> say that I'd agree for now. Their products would fare better
> with desktop users, and with network administrators that have to
> maintain desktop users boxes, etc...

I wonder how many people bought Partition Magic because of Ted's ext2
resizer?
Do we want Linux to remain a hacker's OS forever?

> Those same administrators usually know how to fix problems
> without such a program as NU. When Linux on the desktop starts
> to become a real reality, I think we'll see things change quite a
> bit though.

We should start planning for it now, then ;-)

--
Matt J. Gumbley