Re: Improving the Unix API

Pavel Machek (pavel@bug.ucw.cz)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 21:41:54 +0200

Hi!

> > See NetBSD (and presumably other BSD) "mount -o update,rdonly" and/or
> > "umount -f". (Last I tried, the latter didn't work as it should, but
> > that's a matter of fixing bugs rather than introducing new features.)
>
> mount -o remount,ro on Linux. What was the problem? Indeed you can't do it
> if you have files opened for write there (or pending removal of files
> from unlinks), but that limitation is reasonable, IMHO.

Sorry, but if you don't have procfs compiled in and you want to
remount one of your partitions read-only, how do you do it? I see why
limitation is there, but I would not call it reasonable.

If one of your nfs servers died horrible death, how do you umount it?
Yes, there are some opened handles. They should not matter.
Pavel

PS: OOps, who put 3 different BSD mailing lists in Cc: ?!

--
I'm really pavel@ucw.cz. Look at http://195.113.31.123/~pavel.  Pavel