Re: The stability crisis

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 01:30:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

>I really wish I could report my oopses, but this is a production box and I
>can't just let it sit there while I write down an oops. The syslog
>doesn't catch the OOPS except for sometimes the first few lines. Uptime is
>very important to me, as you have probably noticed from my rant. I don't
>want to use a serial console becuase I don't have another machine in the
>vicinity of 20 feet that would be capable of easilly logging kernel
>messages.

Understandable. If you're serious about wanting to capture the
opps though, I've got a suggestion:

Q) How far away IS the nearest computer that you could possibly
use to capture an oops.

I've got a 50 foot null modem cable here that I homemade myself
with CAT-5 cable, and two 9 pin serial ends. This sucker can
reach a computer across the street in my neighbors house and
downstairs if need be. ;o)

Getting such a cable, or making one (took me 45 minutes to make
once all parts were on my desk) is a perfect way to capture such
a report on another machine.

Alternatively you could use an old 486/386/286 machine to capture
the report. EVERYONE in the world has a spare machine of one of
those classes laying around somewhere, or can get one from
somebody they know, if not the dumpster at a computer store, or a
swap meet, etc... Even an old 8088 would do just fine. You just
need the serial cable and you're set.

I'd make you a cable, and mail it to you, if you were definitely
going to use it to send in bug reports. That would be my
contribution to the kernel development for now.

Personally I'm not having any trouble with 2.2.x yet at all, but
I do read that a lot of others are, and I'd like to see those
bugs fixed as much as the next guy.

>I've heard about a new patch that lets the kernel dump oopsen to a floppy,
>and I'll try it. It scares me that I might accidentally leave a floppy in
>the drive that actually has data.

Backups are your friend. ;o) Look at it this way though: The
data would be lost, but for a good cause. ;o)

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...