Re: The stability crisis

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 00:51:47 +0100

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 11:04:10PM +0000, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> The machine is a Cyrix 6x86MX (no SMP) running RedHat 5.1 with most of the
> packages at either 5.2 or 6.0 versions. MTRR is enabled in the kernel but
> I haven't used it for anything yet so I would assume that it is not
> causing problems. I don't run X. No quotas.

Hmm, the only shot in the dark thing I can think of is the Cyrix chip; I run
tha 686MX here and it is perfect, but if you have marginal heatsink or fan
or other cooling issues, you may well see problems. Stick

/usr/sbin/set6x86 -s 0xc2 0x8

in your start-up scripts. It switches on power-save on HLT for the CPU.
If the problems go away or are reduced, odds on you have a cooling issue. Also,
check your RAM (swap it with that in a 'known good' box).

--
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it
flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come."