Re: If we cannot trim subject lines...

Mark-Andre Hopf (hopf@informatik.uni-rostock.de)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 20:59:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Richard Gooch wrote:
> > Secondly, we haven't seen a convincining argument as to why putting a
> > FS into a file provides a significant benefit.
>
> You know, you're right...

> A fair point, though I haven't seen a convincing argument why a plain
> old directory isn't adequate for holding a compound document.

(a) Because it prevents the normal user from messing around with the
internal of the `directory' and with it preventing the application
programmer from adding tons of code to detect and workaround unexpected
changes.
(b) The normal user expects a `bunch of data' in a single file, not in a
directory.
(c) The content of the `directory' isn't of interest to the user but to some
applications.

These are the only reasons I can currently think of.

Mark

TOAD -- A Simple and Powerful C++ GUI Toolkit for X-Windows
Freely available at http://toad.home.pages.de/
/OO\
__(/_--_\)___________ Mark-André Hopf <hopf@informatik.uni-rostock.de>