Re: Improving the Unix API

Werner Almesberger (almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:13:15 +0200

[ Cc trimmed to linux-kernel ]

Alexander Viro wrote:
> They are different code-wise and ought to be separated. As soon as we'll
> have working unionfs (or at least non-opaque mount) they *will* be
> separated.

And what problem would this solve, besides a slight aesthetical discomfort
some may perceive ? procfs exports a fairly generic VFS interface, so it's
easy to attach subtrees with whatever semantics you like. Gluing /proc
together from various components, possibly with their own sets of support
functions, just seems like a good way to waste resources and to
de-stabilize the name space (top --pids-are-here=/kernel/pids \
--uptime-is-here=/kernel/misc --meminfo-is-here=/kernel/vm ? ;-)

- Werner