Re: KMSGDUMP: dump kernel messages to a diskette

=?iso-8859-1?q?willy=20tarreau?= (wtarreau@yahoo.fr)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:27:29 +0200 (CEST)

--- Riley Williams <rhw@memalpha.cx> a écrit:
> Hi Willy.
>
> Just out of curiosity, how does it dump the messages
> out?

there are two choices that can be made at kernel
compile time (at the moment) :
- dump blindly the raw 16 kbytes at the beginning
of the disk. This can be retrieved simply by
"dd if=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=32"
- creating a tiny FAT12 on the disk and dump the
data in a file named "messages.txt". Easier to
read.

Any of the two methods DESTROY disk contents, but only
require one track. It can be easy to find a diskette
with useless contents. Even a damaged diskette can be
used if its first track is good.

The dump code is the same, it simply looks at a bit
in some flags to know if it must write a FAT or not.

> Whilst (1) is certainly the easiest to write, it's
> probably also the
> least useful, and one of the other two would be
> prefeerable.

yes and no ...

Pavel Machek told me that people might think that if
this system can use a FAT, then their disk contents
won't be lost, which is false of course. I think he's
right with this. That's the reason why I let the user
choose. Personnaly, I use FAT because I find it easier
to use, and I do know that my diskette contents will
be lost after each dump.

An improvement could be to dump messages each one after
the other so that we could have a diskette full of
kernel messages ... This implies to be able to read
FAT !

> Best wishes from Riley.

Willy