Re: FTP benchmark proposal

Jakub Jelinek (jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:03:54 +0200

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 09:37:13AM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:

> >> why? should we also use a single ide drive? multiple 100mb nics
> >> simply do not aggregate traffic as well as a single gigabit card.
> >> If I were setting up a site of this magnitude I sure as hell
> >> wouldn't want to mess around with the silliness of having lots of
> >> nics.
>
> Paul> No no. A Gb card is the way to go in the real world, no
> Paul> question, and it would be a cold day in hell before I would
> Paul> choose multiple NICs over a Gb in this scenario. But, there are
> Paul> cases where multiple NICs makes some sense. Consider the case
> Paul> of a fileserver serving 4 subnets in a shop with only a routed
> Paul> 100Mb backbone.
>
> Could we try to focus on the issue here, please. Larry was suggesting
> an FTP test, not a multi purpose do whatever you feel like in a LAN
> setup.
>
> The multi NIC issue is a totally different issue, it needs to be dealt
> with (if it has not been done yet) but it is a different issue.

I'd like this to work as well. I have an E3500 currently with 4 100BaseT
(every board comes with one onboard, every non-onboard SCSI HBA I have
(besides fibre channel) has one as well, so why should I buy GigE cards and
switches?) but no GigE in house, the switch can do Fast EtherChannel but I
doubt Linux can be configured to use it. On that machine I'd be very happy
to test FTP throughput (in fact, it is an FTP server after all) if somebody
writes WAN simulating FTP clients.

Cheers,
Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University