Re: Norton Utilities for Linux ?

Oystein Viggen (oysteivi@tihlde.org)
28 Jun 1999 21:44:12 +0200

"Marco Ermini" wrote:

> > On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Marco Ermini wrote:
> >
> > > IMHO Linux simply don't not need this
> > > kind of utility, because:
> > >
> > > 1) The system simply works as is. I.e, do
> > > you need a defrag for ext2?
> >
> > One exists and I have used it.
>
> But certainly EXT2 *don't need* it.

I have an ext2 partition with over 5% fragmentation (as reported by
fsck). I don't know if that makes me _need_ a defrag tool, thogh...

> > I think a 'Peter Norton Utility' for Linux is a great idea and since
> > Linux has now "arrived", somebody might ask Symantec about it.
>
> Of course you could ask it to Symantec,
> but I think it could be not worth to buy
> something that GNU software already
> provides. That's the difference, Windows
> is not so configurable as GNU and don't
> have all the tools that GNU provides
> (and certainly Windows needs them,
> much more than Linux).

I believe "people"(TM) would buy a NU for Linux, because "people" have
already bought NU for NT which, in my experience, is just a collection
of frontends, speed reducers and memory hogs. (NDD is essentially a
frontend for chkdsk, speedisk always seemed to make my disk even more
fragmented, no matter how many times I ran it, and the only thing
System Doctor ever did for me was to prove that NT isn't as stable as
one would wish it was :)

Anyway, I don't believe this discussion is very "Linux-kernel"
related.

Oystein

--
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible
is to venture a little way past them into the impossible."