Re: WinModem sneaked on my table

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 15:33:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Winmodem managed to sneak on my table, yesterday. It came in with
> > toshiba notebook and I did not really see it is there until I readed
> > some webpages.
>
> Aw, sorry. Which toshiba? I was thinking of getting one and I'd like
> to avoid the winmodem..
>
> Though I do get tempted to write winmodem DSP code just for fun, that's
> the sort person I am -- I would still like to use the computer meanwhile
> :-)

If you itching to write a DSP module for the kernel that would be
awesome. It won't affect support for Lucent (and other) Winmodem, which
have an onboard DSP, but PCTel modems and other brands come with only
a hardware codec.

Programming a Lucent winmodem DSP should be interesting; it has its own
RISCish instruction set, its own assembler, etc. I looked into this in
depth, but stopped after being able to obtain the binary encoding of the
instructions (and too slack to reverse engineer it :))

As a side note, there is a mailing list for discussing winmodem-on-linux
support, subscribe at discuss-subscribe@linmodems.org.

One guy on the list is developing something interesting: "WinSand". It
is software which runs a Windows device driver in a sandbox environment
under Linux.

Regards,

Jeff