Re: strange problem in X

Joe (josepha48@yahoo.com)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:19:31 -0700 (PDT)

--- Steve Dodd <dirk@loth.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 07:15:38AM -0700, Joe wrote:
>
> > NOT AN OPTION... first RH 6.0 does not come with a gcc 2.7.2
>
> Don't shout.

okay let me repeat myself again then .. having more than 1
compiler is not an option no matter how easy it is it. Is not
the way that I am interested in going. If you choose to have a a
million compilers on your machine that is your choice. I choose
to have only one and would rather not think to much about my
C/C++ compiler. If the C compiler were to check for memory leaks
during a running progrm I may think more about it, but it
doesn't.

cc or cpp for C or C++ and that is all I want to think about.

Having multiple compilers can be a hastle during upgrades if
they are both rpms (or deb's?), one that you may not want to get
replaced may, unless they are specially designed to coinside
with each other which means building a special rpm package.
Because rpm is not fool-proof and typically installs the srpm on
its host system (see maximum rpm manual it says so) unless some
FM (f----- magic) is done, having multiple compilers can make
upgrades more difficult.

> > compiler (at least I did not see one) ..second I am not
> going to
> > try again to build either a cross compiler or a gcc compiler
> and
> > potentially screw up my system..
>
> I've built versions of gcc 2.7 and egcs hundreds of times and
> it's never
> 'screwed up my system'.

yeah for you! did you read that I don't want to have to build it
100 times ...

> If you're not prepared to spend a little time getting your
> compilers set
> up properly as opposed to installing them from your
> distribution, I don't see
> why you expect to compile your own kernel, instead of
> installing that from
> your distribution.
there is no such thing as a little time... and I am not
prepared to do this for a compiler. I would rather be developing
programs than figueing out howto install multiple or a cross
compiler..
been there done that hated it.. got it?

Joe