Re: strange problem in X

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 17:49:48 +0100

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 07:15:38AM -0700, Joe wrote:

> NOT AN OPTION... first RH 6.0 does not come with a gcc 2.7.2

Don't shout.

> compiler (at least I did not see one) ..second I am not going to
> try again to build either a cross compiler or a gcc compiler and
> potentially screw up my system..

I've built versions of gcc 2.7 and egcs hundreds of times and it's never
'screwed up my system'.

> third I SIMPLY SHOULD NOT HAVE
> TO HAVE 2 C COMPILERS. fourth that means that while I am
> compiling my kernel I cannot compile anything else..

Bollocks.

Versions of gcc and egcs install into separate directories, under
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/<arch>/<gcc-version>, so they won't interfere with each
other. To use a different gcc version just use the -V switch. All I do is
change /usr/src/linux/Makefile to:

CFLAGS = -V2.7.2.3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer

And it gets built with gcc 2.7.2.3 instead of egcs.

If you're not prepared to spend a little time getting your compilers set
up properly as opposed to installing them from your distribution, I don't see
why you expect to compile your own kernel, instead of installing that from
your distribution.

--
QOTD: "Sure, I turned down a drink once. Didn't understand the question."