Re: Framebuffer for ATI and Permedia2: where's the README?

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:50:19 -0400

Francis GALIEGUE wrote:
> Simply, there's none for now in vanilla 2.2.10. Are the video modes for
> both of these fbs the same than those of vesafb? I'm asking this because
> matroxfb (which is, on the opposite, very well documented) doesn't have
> the same modes than vesafb.

> What about special options?

I am trying to collect as much info as I can on Linux framebuffers on my
video page: http://havoc.gtf.org/garzik/video/

The framebuffer drivers do not currently have a standard set of mode
options -- but this is changing in 2.3.x as there is a small list of
standard modes that will be supported across almost all drivers.

For the Permedia2 driver, it has a home page, which includes
documentation of the kernel options:
http://www.cs.unibo.it/~nardinoc/pm2fb/

For the ATI driver (atyfb) you are unfortunately out of luck; the source
code is the only documentation there is. Look at the atyfb_setup()
function, that is the one that parses the options. Scanning the source
code, the available options seem to be:

font:{font name}
noblink
noaccel
vram:{number}
pll:{number}
vmode:{number}
cmode:{number} - looks like bpp. valid values: 0, 8, 15, 16, 24, 32

> Oh, and also, make xconfig will barf when trying to define CONFIG_ATYFB,
> with an ERROR - trying to assign value to unknown option (CONFIG_ATYFB)
> - make menuconfig doesn't have this problem.

Yeah, 'make config' doesn't have this problem either. I have been too
lazy too look into it since I rarely use xconfig. ;-)

Jeff