[Fwd: FTP benchmark proposal]

Steve Underwood (steveu@netpage.com.hk)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:53:59 +0000

--------------E880EB62FB2F9CD435BFB629

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:38:53 +0200
From: Matthew Wilcox <Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com>
To: Steve Underwood <steveu@netpage.com.hk>
Subject: Re: FTP benchmark proposal

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 11:24:31AM +0000, Steve Underwood wrote:
> > > I'd also suggest that the server be set up with multiple 100 Mb cards
> > > (aka the Mindcraft test).
> >
> > [i've taken the liberty of correcting the name, as you yourself pointed
> > out later]
> >
> > Why do you suggest that? One gigabit network card is cheaper than 4
> > hundred megabit cards and provides more bandwidth. One of the reasons
> > the Mindcraft benchmarketing exercise was so poor.
>
> If you run benchmark tests with GB Ethernet you loose any right to complain
> about unrealistic benchmarks that others might create. A machine with 4 x 100MB
> Ethernet cards is a common real world configuration - often more for redundancy
> than actual throughput. How many people have GB Ethernet installed, or will do
> so in the next 12 months?

if it's for redundancy then why bench it for performance? If you're
setting up a high performance server then you choose the hardware
configuration which matches the system you want to run. Like cdrom.com
do for example. They use a single gigabit network card for FreeBSD.

> Also tell me where I can get a GB Ethernet card for US$70. I can get 4 x 100Mbps
> high performance Tulip compatible cards for that. Also where could I get a GB
> hub for less than 4 times a 100MB hub?

Where can you get a Tulip card for $17.50? I would love to buy a box.

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of