Re: FTP benchmark proposal

Matthew Wilcox (Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:29:32 +0200

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 10:47:39AM +1000, Richard Gooch wrote:
> Larry McVoy writes:
> > The proposal is this:
> >
> > a) get VA or Penguin to sponsor the hardware and the test lab,
> > I'll talk to them and try and make that happen.
> > b) create a test lab with enough clients to generate the load
> > with a setup like so:
> >
> > [ server ]
> > |
> > gbit
> > |
> > [ router ]
> > / / \ \
> > / / \ \
> > / / \ \
> > c c ... c c
> >

> I'd also suggest that the server be set up with multiple 100 Mb cards
> (aka the Mindcraft test).

[i've taken the liberty of correcting the name, as you yourself pointed
out later]

Why do you suggest that? One gigabit network card is cheaper than 4
hundred megabit cards and provides more bandwidth. One of the reasons
the Mindcraft benchmarketing exercise was so poor.

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of