Re: SMP on AMD K7

Ryan Moore (rmoore@rmoore.i.seawood.org)
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 22:09:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Adam Sulmicki wrote:
> Joel Jaeggli writes:
> ->None of AMD's named vendors (asus,gigabyte,fic,biostar) have even
> ->announced products yet.
>
> I have read on internet (www.aceshardware.com I think) that you
> can use existing alpha mb to put K7 into it.

I would be skeptical this could work because such a motherboard would
probably not have a BIOS that would be compatible the K7 that could boot
anything.

I'd bet the console program in ROM on any Alpha motherboards would be tied
very closely to the Alpha architecture.

The linux kernel still needs a BIOS to boot.

Of course if the booting problem could be overcome, then maybe things
could work.