Re: FTP benchmark proposal

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:47:39 +1000

Larry McVoy writes:
> The proposal is this:
>
> a) get VA or Penguin to sponsor the hardware and the test lab,
> I'll talk to them and try and make that happen.
> b) create a test lab with enough clients to generate the load
> with a setup like so:
>
> [ server ]
> |
> gbit
> |
> [ router ]
> / / \ \
> / / \ \
> / / \ \
> c c ... c c

I'd also suggest that the server be set up with multiple 100 Mb cards
(aka the Netcraft test).

> d) put all of this behind a benchmark.valinux.com firewall and give
> developers ssh access into the playpen.

Yep.

> Any interest in this? Seems like it would be a cool setup for this
> and for http test loads. And once we get it going, it might be a
> nice setup to challenge microsloth with...

I think it's a very good idea, and I'm kind of surprised that it
hasn't happened before this. I think it's time that we pooled our
resources so that we can routinely do these kinds of tests.

Regards,

Richard....