Re: [patch] pagecache-2.3.9-H3, bmap & ext2fs cleanup patch

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 12:58:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> If Linux will use 3 bits to represent a hole (and I hope not),
> please hide it in a macro. [...]

Albert, please do not misrepresent my point. The current code is perfectly
OK if holes remain what they are now. _Full stop_.

i only complained about the ability to extend it in the future (near
future) - but the code is not at all unreadable right now. Actually,
buffer_hole() _right now_ does increase complexity slightly, and i know
that pretty well because i have coded it. You have misunderstood my point,
lets just stop this argument here.

> [...] The kernel, all 1.5 million lines of
> it, is a bit hard to follow when you can't hack Linux full-time.

the readability of the block layer has increased substantially in the last
few weeks.

-- mingo