Re: strange problem in X

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 02:34:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Joe wrote:

>My guess is that something is probably wrong in X itself or in
>the kernel i/o that is afecting X but am guessing at this point?

My guess is that if that is happening, and to everyone, that it
must be a kernel bug. Any application that can crash the kernel,
means there is a kernel bug/misfeature IMHO.

>So now I have a few questions:
>
> 1) is anyone who is running a uniprocessor machine having
>problems with X 3.3.3.1 and the 2.2 kernels that is causeing
>them to either reboot or force an X shutdown as described above?
>( ie is this an SMP problem exclusively or is it occuring on UP
>machines as well)

Not yet.

> 4) with 2.2.x what compilers can be safely recommended ? I

gcc-2.7.2.3 - I believe Linus officially uses this, or 2.7.2.1
himself. I never use egcs on kernels. The redhat kernel is egcs
compiled though.

>remember that in 2.0 there were problems with gcc 2.8.1 that
>XFree86.org recommended not using that one as it caused io
>problems, could egcs be having a similar effect? (ie is anyone
>who is NOT using egcs with 2.2 having this problem?)

Possibly. If you have problems with *ANY* kernel that is
compiled with egcs, recompile the kernel with gcc 2.7.2.3 and see
if the problem goes away first.

>my machine is:
>DUAL P-233MMX
>128 Meg RAM
>Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 4Meg video card (PCI)
>Linux Kernel 2.2.10
>XFree86 3.3.3.1
>egcs 1.0.x
>glibc2.1
>RH6.0
>
> until today I thought that I was the only one having this
>problem but it seem that there are more of you out there.

Not me. ;o)

Take care Joe!
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...