Apache performance: Run queue proportional to number of connections?

Dan Kegel (dank@alumni.caltech.edu)
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 10:34:42 -0700

Zach has some interesting remarks from his experience
in the recent Apache/Linux benchmark at ZD:

> From: Zach Brown <zab@zabbo.net>
> Subject: Re: Got benchmarks?
>
> > ... But what about the kernel fixes? Didn't you use a wake-one scheduler
> > patch? ...
>
> it didn't make a darn bit of difference, which makes sense when you think
> about the work load. there are enough concurrent connections that we
> spend a far greater amount of time scheduling between the apaches handling
> connections than we do having apaches all waking on accept. the path to
> serve a connection is 20someodd syscalls. and while thats going on we
> have interrupts arriving. we end up shceduling all over the place.
>
> notice that the run queue is always proporional to the number of
> connections, _not_ the number of listening apaches.
>
> and in fact, andrea's patches made performance drop off worse than it did
> under stock 2.2.10.
>
> -- zach

Maybe that patch someone posted to handle really long runqueues
well would be useful after all.

- Dan