Re: 2.2.10 hung, maybe on audio IO

Andrew Clausen (clausen@alphalink.com.au)
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 08:04:22 -0400

Eugene Crosser wrote:

> These days, when I once came home, I found my computer ringing
> continiously. I have a cron script that sometimes runs a simple
> program, that opens DSP device, writes a 32Kb audio sample (in a single
> write operation), does ioctl(audio,SNDCTL_DSP_SYNC,0) and that's it. I
> found the computer play this same sample continiously over and over
> again. It did not respond to keyboard, neither MagicSysRq. When I hit
> reset, it fsck'd without trouble. Noting in the syslog. Audio device
> is es1370 with native (not ALSA) driver autoloaded as a module.

If the kernel crashes, then the sound driver won't be able to write
new data to the sound card. So the sound card plays the last data it
got over and over again (probably between 4 and 16k of data).

So it sounds like the kernel crashed while the sound was playing, but
you can't be sure it was the sound that caused it to crash.

Andrew Clausen