Re: [patch] fix for the `access beyond end of device' bug of 2.3.[789]

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:39:41 -0400

I only got this error once. The machine was running 2.2.9. After running
du on a directory containing about 1GB of files and then removing it I
started to run du on another heavily loaded directory. I tried to cancel
the du operation with ctrl+c but it wouldn't die. I then tried to kill the
process and the parent shell. The parent shell died but not du. After a
few more moment I noticed the system start to act funky. Then as I tried to
run some programs kernel error messages started scrolling up the console
saying `access beyond end of device'. Eventually `access beyond end of
device' messages started to scroll across the console very quicky perhaps
even intermingled with other error messages and without me causing it by
trying to run a program. I got the messages to stop by using the sysrq key
combination that remounted all filesystems as readonly. The system had to
be downed and then fixed from a system on a bootable CD as the system
couldn't fix itself upon its reboot. The filesystem still has some
corruption as KDE dies from some corrupt or missing files. I've notice
several others here using 2.2.[6-10, 5-ac?] reporting similar errors.