Re: (reiserfs) Re: I discussed reading directories as files with

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:32:14 +0400 (MSD)

In <199906250229.WAA14638@jupiter.cs.uml.edu> Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu) wrote:

> Jeff Epler writes:
>> On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 09:58:52PM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

>>> One need not understand the Word-specific aspects of the format.
>>> Forget about bold text and image format details. Not even NT would
>>> have all that in the kernel. No, this is only a filesystem-like
>>> structure to be dished out in pieces by a simple driver.
>>
>> So use the filesystem!

> That is the whole point: filesystem support for multi-forked data
> (mostly a performance issue) while supporting the highly desireable
> view of documents being files.

>> If, as you say in another post, you're worried about morons
>> "rm"ing, "mv"ing or "chmod"ing the individual components, just
>> insure that zed as a compound document recieve a
>> document icon, not a folder icon.

> One must be able to "rm" or "mv" the whole document with any old
> tool. That really ought to include old statically linked tools.

Why ? If someone REALLY want to corrupt document with old statically linked
tools he can do it even with new tools -- there are quite a few ways to
corrupt document (multiforked or not) in any case ...

> Don't bother with ugly hacks for each individual issue. Suggest a
> solution that _cleanly_ covers the whole thing if you can. I'll
> expect to _not_ see "magic" file names in directories. I'll also
> expect something that the NTFS driver can use.

Again: why ? Rationale ?