testing kernels

Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@Op.Net)
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 01:32:47 -0400

>From: o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s (david parsons)
>
>Paul Barton-Davis <pbd@Op.Net> wrote:
>>We don't *want* "people" upgrading their kernels to any development
>>version.
>
> You may not.
>
> But you're not Linus, so it may be a bit presumptious to speak
> for him.
> ____
> david parsons \bi/ if nobody tests the kernels, would
> \/ that make them better?

are you being deliberately stupid, or is this just a bad day ? there
are quotes around my use of the word "people". those quotes are
supposed to distinguish between <some individuals> and <any person> as
the audience for a development kernel.

of course linus and many other articipants in kernel development want
people to test kernels, but linus himself as well as many others have
made it very clear that the development kernels (well, at the very
least, some specific versions thereof) should not be considered
candidates for widespread use. See his recent comments about the page
caching changes, for example.

--p <speaking for myself, and sanity>