Re: albods are not a clean set of orthogonal primitives (was Re:

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:39:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> I had already gone through the PRELOAD user space iteration, but
> there is one big problem. The basic reason that I proposed this as a
> kernel issue was the problem of being able to execute an image that
> is contained within a Meta-File. Nearly all other features are user
> space issues.
>
> This can be handled using user-space libc hacks too. You just have to
> trap exec, execl, execle, etc.

You can do anything with a turing-complete CPU. I don't think that is the
issue.

I think the issue is more one of convenience, and thinking in new
directions. I don't see anything _wrong_ with allowing directories that
can be opened and executed and that look like regular files when used as
regular files.

Linus