Re: SMP Question.

Ralf Baechle (ralf@uni-koblenz.de)
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:44:02 +0200

On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 06:56:26PM -0400, Wakko Warner wrote:

> I thought it would be nice if you could actually take a cpu offline like a
> sun sparc can. I have a dual supersparc 50mhz running linux. Be nice to
> beable to offline a cpu, upgrade it and put it back online w/o loosing your
> uptime =) AFAIK, solaris can do this (offlining a cpu), I don't know about
> hot plugging a cpu. A friend of mine said it was doable.

That works well on some Sun hardware. It however can only work where it is
explicitly supported by hardware and most hardware, doesn't.

It's different if a CPU module fails in flight or is offlined
administratively. If it does and the failure is just right then there is
little that can be done to protect the entire partition from crashing. So
hot plugging capability doesn't give you a silver bullet against damaged
CPUs. It's different with hardware that is designed to be fault tolerant
like Tandem's.

Ralf