Re: Serial driver broken since 2.2.x?

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:41:09 +0200

On Jun 24, Petr Novak wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was trying to upgrade a machine running xntpd with DCF-77 receiver
> from 2.0.x kernel to 2.2.x kernel (and other stuff, of course). One of
> the problems seems to be that the non-canonical mode of "dumb" serial
> ports (ttyS0 and ttyS1) is broken since 2.2.x kernels.

which program are you using ?

I don't see any such problems in 2.2.x (now 2.2.10) with same
configuration using xntpd (xntpd 3-5.93a) and my own small dcf programm. and it's even
a UART with FIFO:

# setserial -bg /dev/refclock-0
/dev/refclock-0 at 0x01a8 (irq = 5) is a 16550A (Fourport)
# stty < /dev/refclock-0
speed 50 baud; line = 0;

> The RAWDCF code in xntpd handles the port as raw (non-canonical mode)
> device, with 50 baud speed. The DCF-77 data format produces 1 pulse
> (long or short) every second, which read at the serial port nominally as
> '\0' or '\340' (the actual char may vary with the precise width of the
> pulse, but typically it is one of these chars).

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\