Re: I think I have a memory leak in 2.3.x

Jay Thorne (jay@kesoftware.com)
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 09:29:12 -0700

Chuck Lever wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:03:51 -0700, Jay Thorne <jay@kesoftware.com>
> > said:
> > > What I cannot understand is where that memory could possibly have gone. Is
> > > my test far too naive for words? Is there some mechanism that I do not
> > > understand at work here?
> >
> > It could be lost in the dcache, inode cache, or slab cache. The dcache
> > and slab cache will shrink themselves automatically on demand.
>
> stephen-
>
> since i don't have the history that you and others here might have, can
> you tell me why the inode cache is implemented so that it uses raw pages
> and never shrinks? is it simply older than the slab cache implementation?
> would there be any advantage to a re-implementation?
>
> - Chuck Lever

If this is so, why does my memory consuming process not recover the dcache
and slab cache?
As I said, I can run a memory hog and it will not go past 42 megs RSS on a
system that has run for a few days. The inode cache never shrinks? Its
never reported anywhere either, that I can see.

--
Jay Thorne  jay@kesoftware.com   KE Software
http://www.kesoftware.com