Re: Why Linux is doomed (was: Re: FENRIS (nwfs) 1.4.2 Source Code Available)

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 12:23:32 +0200 (MEST)

leitner@convergence.de wrote:
> included somewhere. I cannot understand how a kernel like this can
> even be put on an FTP site without even trying to compile it on all
> platforms.

Linus is doing lots of work already. He gets more mail than he can
read. He has to be selective about what he himself does. He sometimes
releases kernels that he hasn't even compiled himself, just to reduce
the "testing burdon" on himself. That's a good thing.

Feel free to make an automatic "does it compile" test, and report the
problems.

Feel free to try to arrange a cooperation with Linus where he releases
a kernel first to you where you get to give the "yes it compiles for
Felix" approval.

> 4. FAT. 2.3.7 does not compile with FAT file system. Excuse me?
> This is the single most frequently used file system besides ext2,
> and 2.3.7 does not compile with it? Because of a syntax error?!

Some filesystem changes were made. It broke all filesystems. Everybody
knows that. The FAT filesystem wasn't fixed yet. Your problem.

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------