Re: RFC: BSD system call revoke?

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 08:50:13 +0100 (BST)

> On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I would suggest you feed it to Al Viro, as it and also large file arrays
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> gimme ;-) That's *the* right moment - I'm in the middle of
> ->files->fd cleanup right now. Alan, IIRC you've said that Linus has
> objections on the large file arrays patch in the current form. Could you
> summarize them?

The two were 1. That he was worried it would break stuff (applications) and
confuse users. It defaults to sane fd set sizes so it doesn't. Vendors ship
this patch.

2. There were various small cleanups it was wrongfully reverting - not to
give wrong code, going back from nice size macros to doing the maths
explicitly

Alan